I originally wrote this post on March 2, 2020, and have made three follow-up posts: one on April 14, 2020, one on April 21, 2020, one on April 28, 2020, and one on May 5, 2020.
A new announcement came out that another anime is being pushed back from Fall 2020 to Winter 2021. There was also an update for the third season of the My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU anime, which will now premiere in July 2020. The delay of the Fall 2020 anime series Vladlove was also included in this update. There was also an update on the 14th episode of the A Certain Scientific Railgun T anime as well as an update on Food Wars!. Another series currently airing in Spring 2020 is now also being delayed.
As of this writing, these anime had an episode (or episodes) delayed due to the effects of coronavirus:
- A Certain Scientific Railgun T (after the airing of the delayed episode, it’s been announced that two “special programs” will air in early March 2020 instead, but no reason has been given as to why there is a delay of new episodes). On April 18, 2020, it was announced that the 13th episode of the series would be delayed due to COVID-19. The episode was scheduled to air on April 24, 2020, but the 12th episode will be aired on that date instead. The staff will later announced that the 13th episode will air on May 1, 2020. It was announced on May 2, 2020 that the 14th episode of the series has been delayed due to COVID-19 affecting production. The episode was scheduled to air on May 8, 2020, but the 13th episode will re-air on that date instead. It was later announced that the 14th episode will air on May 15, 2020.
- Infinite Dendogram
- number24 (episodes 11 and 12 were delayed, and according to FUNimation, they would be streaming these episodes on April 8, 2020 and April 15, 2020, respectively)
A3! Season Spring & Summer began airing in January 2020, but due to the coronavirus outbreak exacerbating scheduling problems in the production, the series has been put on hold and will begin again in April 2020 from the first episode. The second half of the series, A3! Season Autumn & Winter, is scheduled to premiere in October 2020.
These series are being delayed from Spring 2020 to Summer 2020:
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy
- Tsukiuta The Animation 2 (while the announcement for this one says the delay is “due to the effects of recent global issues,” it’s rather safe to say that they’re referring to coronavirus)
- Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of Underworld Part 2
- The second season of the Re:ZERO – Starting Life in Another World- anime
- The third season of the My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU anime
This series has been delayed from Spring 2020, with no new release date announced:
- The second half of the No Guns Life anime
The following anime began airing in the Spring 2020 season, but will be delaying new episodes in the middle of the season due to COVID-19:
- The second season of the IDOLiSH7 anime will be delayed starting with the fifth episode. Channels that aired the anime will air a selection of episodes from the first season starting on April 26, 2020. The anime’s website and Twitter account will reveal the new broadcast date and release schedule at a later date.
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater will air through Episode 3, which is as far as the production got before being affected by COVID-19. The site and the show’s official Twitter account will announce new airing and streaming dates for the rest of the episodes when they have been decided.
- The Millionaire Detective – Balance: UNLIMITED aired its first two episodes. The official website for the series announced that the airings of the anime’s third episode and onward were delayed until further notice in consideration of the spread of COVID-19. Reruns of tsuritama started airing in this series’ time slot in Japan. On April 23, 2020, the official website announced that the anime will restart airing from the first episode on July 16, 2020.
- Appare-Ranman! will be delayed starting with the fourth episode. The website and the anime’s official Twitter account will announce the new broadcast and streaming premiere dates for the fourth and later episodes after they are decided.
- Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate will be delayed starting with the third episode. The anime’s website and Twitter account will announce future television broadcast and streaming schedules when they have been decided. For the airings on April 24, May 1, and May 8, 2020, stations will air the first episodes of the fourth season of the series. It was announced on May 12, 2020, that Episode 3 and later episodes will be delayed “until July or later” due to COVID-19.
- The official website for the Digimon Adventure: reboot anime has announced that they will delay further episodes due to the spread of COVID-19. The anime was scheduled to air its fourth episode on April 26, 2020. The website will reveal at a later date when new episodes will resume. Reruns of GeGeGe no Kitarō will air during the series’ timeslot on Japanese television.
- The production committee for the Kingdom anime has announced that it is delaying the broadcast of episode 5 and later episodes of the third season. The committee explained that production had been going forward with enough time allotted, but the government’s state of emergency declaration against COVID-19 greatly impacted the production schedule. Episode 4 of the third season will still air as scheduled on April 26, 2020, but Episode 5 will not air as scheduled on May 3, 2020. The anime’s official website and Twitter account will announce the start date of new episodes when the committee has decided it.
- The official website for Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE Season 2 has announced that the anime’s episodes will be delayed beginning with Episode 19, which was scheduled for May 14, 2020, due to the effects of COVID-19 on the show’s production. Episode 18 will still debut as scheduled on May 7, 2020.
- The staff of Extra Olympia Kyklos has announced that the broadcast and streaming of the fifth and later episodes will be delayed due to the effects of the spread of COVID-19. The announcement stated that photography and editing work are delayed due to the effects of COVID-19. The series is scheduled to return with the fifth episode on June 22, 2020. The series will debut as planned through the fourth episode, which will debut on May 11, 2020. The anime’s first four episodes will re-air until the series resumes.
- The official Twitter account for the Gal & Dino (Gal to Kyōryū) anime has announced that the series is delaying future episodes due to COVID-19 making part of the series’ production process difficult. While episode 7 will air on May 16, 2020 as scheduled, the series will rerun the first five episodes, starting on May 23, 2020. The series’ official website, Twitter account, and Instagram account will announce when the anime will resume new episodes as soon as it is decided.
The following long-running anime series are also being affected by COVID-19:
- It has been announced that the staff are temporarily suspending part of its production on the current Pokemon anime series due to the COVID-19 situation, and as a result, new episodes are delayed. The staff will announce when the anime will return at a later date. Channels will begin re-airing older episodes.
- Toei Animation’s official website for the One Piece anime has announced that the anime is delaying the 930th episode and later episodes due to the spread of COVID-19. The episode was scheduled to air on April 26, 2020, but the anime’s broadcast will instead rerun from the 892nd episode (the first episode of the Wano Kuni arc). The staff will reveal later when the 930th episode and later episodes will air.
- The official website for the Boruto: Naruto Next Generations has announced that new episodes of the anime will be delayed from May 3, 2020 onwards due to the state of emergency declared in Japan against the spread of COVID-19. The series was scheduled to air its 155th episode on that day, but will now begin re-running the show from the first episode instead. The 154th episode scheduled for April 26 will still air.
- The official website for the Black Clover anime has announced that the anime’s production committee is delaying the broadcast of the anime’s 133rd episode and later episodes, due to the effects of the spread of COVID-19 on the production. The 21st and 22nd combined issue of Weekly Shonen Jump had revealed earlier that the anime would rerun its 1st episode on May 5, 2020, the original scheduled air date of the 133rd episode. The 132nd episode will still air on April 28, 2020.
The following anime has been pushedb back from Summer 2020 to Fall 2020 due to COVID-19:
- The official website for the second season of The irregular at magic high school television anime has announced that the anime is delayed from July 2020 to October 2020 due to the effects of COVID-19.
The following anime has been pushed back from Fall 2020 to Winter 2021 due to COVID-19:
- The official Twitter account for The Promised Neverland manga announced that the premiere date of the second season of the television anime adaptation of the manga has been pushed back from October 2020 to January 2021 due to the effect of COVID-19 on the production. The planned rerun of the first season has similarly been postponed from July 2020 to October 2020.
- The official website and Twitter account for The Quintessential Quintuplets anime has announced that the second season has been delayed until January 2021 due to the effects of COVID-19. The season, titled The Quintessential Quintuplets ∬, was originally scheduled to premiere in October 2020.
The following anime has been pushed back from Fall 2020 to an undertermined date:
- The official Twitter account for Ichigo Animation and Mamoru Oshii’s new anime series Vladlove has announced that the series is delayed due to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The announcement stated that the producers want to protect the anime’s staff, and they will announce the new release schedule after it is decided. Vladlove was previously scheduled to premiere in Fall 2020 and run for 12 episodes.
This list focuses on series that are also being simulcast or streamed outside of Japan. I am also not listing the various anime films that have been delayed in Japan due to the virus… with one exception. I will mention Evangelion 3.0+1.0, since we already knew this was going to be released both inside and outside of Japan. It’s a little frustrating that after all these years of delays, after finally getting a release date for June 2020, to have the film delayed AGAIN due to this. Hopefully this film will be released at some point during our lifetime.