I originally wrote this post on March 2, 2020. More anime series have been affected by COVID-19 in the time since I originally wrote this piece, so I am posting an update.
As of this writing, these anime had an episode delayed due to the effects of coronavirus:
- A Certain Scientific Railgun T (after the airing of the delayed episode, it’s been announced that two “special programs” will air in early March 2020 instead, but no reason has been given as to why there is a delay of new episodes)
- Infinite Dendogram
- number24 (Episodes 11 and 12 were delayed, and according to FUNimation, they would be streaming these episodes on April 8, 2020 and April 15, 2020, respectively)
A3! Season Spring & Summer began airing in January 2020, but due to the coronavirus outbreak exacerbating scheduling problems in the production, the series has been put on hold and will begin again in April 2020 from the first episode. The second half of the series, A3! Season Autumn & Winter, is scheduled to premiere in October 2020.
These series are being delayed from Spring 2020 to Summer 2020:
- The Misfit of Demon King Academy
- Tsukiuta The Animation 2 (while the announcement for this one says the delay is “due to the effects of recent global issues,” it’s rather safe to say that they’re referring to coronavirus)
- Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of Underworld Part 2
- The second season of the Re:ZERO – Starting Life in Another World- anime
These series have been delayed from Spring 2020, with no new release date announced:
- The second half of the No Guns Life anime
- The third season of the My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU anime
The following anime began airing in the Spring 2020 season, but will be delaying new episodes in the middle of the season due to COVID-19:
- The second season of the IDOLiSH7 anime will be delayed starting with the fifth episode. Channels that aired the anime will air a selection of episodes from the first season starting on April 26, 2020. The anime’s website and Twitter account will reveal the new broadcast date and release schedule at a later date.
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater will air through Episode 3, which is as far as the production got before being affected by COVID-19. The site and the show’s official Twitter account will announce new airing and streaming dates for the rest of the episodes when they have been decided.
Sadly, I have a feeling that more announcements of delays for currently airing anime will be coming over the next few days and/or weeks. While I hope I’m wrong, it just doesn’t look promising. At this rate, the Spring 2020 anime season has the potential to turn into a bit of a shit show.