The Kyoto Shimbun has reported that Kyoto Prefectural Police released the names of 10 of the 35 victims who died in the fire at Kyoto Animation’s 1st studio building on July 18, 2019. The police stated that they have released these names now that funeral services for the 10 victims are over and families have given consent for the police to release the names.
Police also added that they are not yet releasing the names of the other 25 victims due to DNA testing and other special circumstances, or at the requests of the victims’ families. Police are taking into account the feelings of the bereaved families when considering how and when to announce more names. Police are working with relatives to ask for their understanding in releasing the names in the future.
The 10 victims in this list include:
- Jun’ichi Uda, 34 years old
- Yūki Ōmura, 23 years old
- Yuka Kasama, 22 years old
- Yoshiji Kigami, 61 years old
- Ami Kuriki, 30 years old
- Yasuhiro Takemoto, 47 years old
- Sachie Tsuda, 41 years old
- Futoshi Nishiya, 37 years old
- Keisuke Yokota, 34 years old
- Mikiko Watanabe, 35 years old