These are the most recent updates from the Kyoto Animation Fire, as of July 20, 2019:
- Kyoto Animation president Hideaki Hatta has stated that after the deadly fire at Kyoto Animation’s 1st Studio building, he is considering demolishing the building and creating a public park at the spot of the fire that will include a monument. He added, “when I consider the staff and the people in this neighborhood, there are people who don’t want to see such a gruesome sight.” Hatta is also considering hosting a memorial ceremony for the victims.
- Hatta also told the press that all the messages of support from around the world are “becoming our emotional support.”
- Hatta also stated that of the 34 injured victims, one victim had to have their legs amputated.
- South Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has released a statement that confirmed that one of the injured is a South Korean citizen.
- NHK has reported through an interview with a relative of a victim that the relative was told that police will need to conduct DNA testing to identify some of the victims, and that testing will take up to a week.