The executive committee for the 12th Manga Taisho awards has announced this year’s 13 nominated works:
- 1122 by Peko Watanabe
- Ikoku Nikki (Foreign Country Diary) by Tomoko Yamashita
- Astra Lost in Space by Kenta Shinohara
- Kengōji-san wa Mendōkusai (Kongōji-san is Annoying) by Minoru Toyoda
- Golden Gold by Seita Horio
- Sazan to Suisei no Shōjo (Sazan and the Comet Girl) by Yuriko Akase
- Delicious in Dungeon (Dungeon Meshi) by Ryōko Kui
- Nagi no Oitoma (Nagi’s Long Vacation) by Misato Konari
- Hakumei & Mikochi – Tiny Little Life in the Woods (Hakumei to Mikochi) by Takuto Kashiki
- The Blue Period. by Tsubasa Yamaguchi
- Go with the Clouds, North by Northwest (Hokuhokusei ni Kumo to Ike) by Aki Irie
- Mystery to Iu Nakare (Do not say mystery) by Rui Morita
- Metamorphose no Engawa (The Balcony of Metamorphose) by Kaori Tsurutani
The nominating committee is composed mainly of bookstore staffers who are in charge of their respective stores’ manga. This year’s nominating committee consisted 94 individuals, who selected from 247 titles. Any manga title that was released in 2018 and has eight volumes or less is eligible. The volume cap is intentionally added so that the prize winners would be relatively new works that have not already earned their popularity through sheer longevity.
The second round of voting will determine the winner of Manga Taisho 2019, which will be announced at an awards ceremony to be held sometime in late March or early April 2019.