I have to work most of this holiday weekend, but I’ll try to update this post with the various announcements made at panels during Anime Expo 2016. So please watch this post over the next couple of days for updates.
- New Anime Coming to Toonami: Adult Swim announced during its panel that the One-Punch Man anime series will be joining the Toonami lineup on July 16, 2016. It was also announced that Toonami will run a five-part micro-series directed by Mamoru Oshii and produced by Production I.G. Each part will be five minutes long, and the series will premiere in 2017.
Aniplex of America
- Anime License Acquisitions: It was announced at their panel that they have acquired the license for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Kiznaiver.
- Home Video Releases: Crunchyroll has announced that the company will start dubbing and releasing some of its anime series on Blu-ray and DVD. The titles that will be released were announced, and they include: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Berserk (new series), Twin Star Exorcists, Free!, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches, Big Order, Myriad Colors Phantom World, and Gintama. The company will be dubbing all of these series into English.
Dark Horse Comics
- Manga License Acquisitions: Dark Horse has announced that it has acquired the licenses for Hatsune Miku: Rin-Chan Now!, Neon Genesis Evangelion: Legend of the Piko-Piko Middle School Students, and H.P. Lovecraft’s The Hound and Other Stories manga. All three manga are scheduled to debut in 2017.
- Anime License Acquisitions: FUNimation announced that it has acquired the home video, video on demand, broadcast distribution, and streaming rights for the Drifters anime. In addition, the company says that it will stream the Show By Rock!! Short!! spin-off series of anime shorts.
- Home Video Releases: The company announced that it will release Seasons One and Two of Code Geass in a Blu-ray Disc collector’s edition and in two Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo pack standard editions. In addition, FUNimation’s release of The Vision of Escaflowne and Escaflowne: The Movie is scheduled for October 18, 2016. The company will release the series in a collector’s edition on Blu-ray Disc as well as on individual Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo packs for Part One, Part Two, and the movie. The Kickstarter exclusive edition will ship on the same day.
- Manga License Acquisitions: The company announced at its panel that it has acquired the license for the Ichi-F: A Worker’s Graphic Memoir of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant, Fire Force, and Clockwork Planet manga. All three volumes of Ichi-F: A Worker’s Graphic Memoir of the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant will be released in a single omnibus version on March 7, 2017. Fire Force is scheduled to be released in Fall 2016. No release date has been announced for Clockwork Planet.
- Anime License Acquisition: The company has acquired the license for Galaxy Angel. Nozomi plans to release Galaxy Angel on Blu-ray with both English and Japanese audio.
- Anime Releases: Right Stuf will work with Sunrise to release Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, Mobile Suit Gundam F91, Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory, and Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Afterglow of Zeon. In addition, the company also announced that it will be releasing Martian Successor Nadesico on Blu-ray. Right Stuf and Sunrise will release Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket on DVD in late 2016 with English and Japanese audio. The Mobile Suit Gundam F91 film is scheduled for release on both DVD and Blu-ray in early 2017 with both English and Japanese audio. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory is scheduled for release on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in early 2017 with both English and Japanese audio. Mobile Suit Gundam 0083 Afterglow of Zeon is scheduled for release on DVD and Blu-ray in early 2017 with Japanese audio and English subtitles. It was also announced that Revolutionary Girl Utena will be released on Blu-ray, but no release date is currently set.
- English Dubs: During their Anime Expo panel, Sentai Filmworks announced that it will produce English dubs for Ushio & Tora, GATE, Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma, Himōto! Umaru-chan, Amagi Brilliant Park, Monster Musume, and Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?.
Seven Seas Entertainment
- Manga License Acquisitions: The company announced that it has licensed the Magical Girl Site, Species Domain, Plum Crazy! Tales of A Tiger-Striped Cat, and Dreamin’ Sun manga. The first volume of Magical Girl Site is scheduled to be released in February 2017. Seven Seas will be releasing the first volume of Dreamin’ Sun in May 2017. No release dates were announced for Species Domain or Plum Crazy! Tales of A Tiger-Striped Cat.
- Home Video Releases: The company announced during its JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure panel that it will be releasing Part 1 (Phantom Blood) of the new JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure anime series on Blu-ray. The company confirmed that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, who released Parts 1 and 2 in a DVD set, still holds the DVD rights to the series. The Blu-ray release will include an English dub, but did not confirm whether it will be redubbing the series or if it is using Warner Bros. Home Entertainment’s dub.
- Manga License Acquisitions: The company has licensed the Dragon Ball Super, The Water Dragon’s Bride, and Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt manga. Dragon Ball Super will be published in print beginning in Spring 2017. The Water Dragon’s Bride will be released in Spring 2017 by VIZ Media’s Shojo Beat imprint, and Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt will be released by the VIZ Signature imprint starting in Fall 2016.
- Manga Releases: The company plans to release the Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V manga in print, three-in-one omnibus editions for Rurouni Kenshin, and a deluxe box set for the Revolutionary Girl Utena manga. Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V and the Revolutionary Girl Utena box set will launch in Spring 2017, and the first Rurouni Kenshin omnibus is scheduled for Winter 2017.
- Manga License Acquisitions: Yen Press has announced that it has licensed the manga adaptation of the Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers light novels, as well as The Isolator, Big Order, Murciélago, and Smokin’ Parade. The company will begin publishing the Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers manga in January 2017. The Isolator is scheduled to be released in 2017. The company will release the first volume of Big Order in early 2017. Murciélago is scheduled to be released in early Spring 2017. No release date has been announced for Smokin’ Parade.